12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Summer semester A 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
The unit aims to provide students with the conceptual and technical knowledge skills required to work in the field of Gender, Peace and Security as a research or policy analyst or change agent. Students will be introduced to innovative established and new methodologies for generating evidence and developing evidence-based policies that are gender-sensitive, gender-inclusive and gender-responsive. The technical skills and methodologies covered will include:
- gender analysis in the policy process
- gender mainstreaming strategies
- feminist political economy analysis
- gender responsive budgeting
- gender-sensitive monitoring and evaluation The methodologies will be tested and applied to key issues in peace and security policy, planning and practice pertinent to the work of government and non-government organisations including security sector organisations.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will have:
- an understanding of innovative gender-analytical concepts, methodologies, techniques and tools, their strengths and limitations;
- practical capacity to apply these methodologies, techniques and tools in peace and security research, policy and advocacy;
- critical knowledge of how to enable the operational and practical capacity to address gender inequalities, exclusions and differences through action or implementation efforts that are feasible, monitored and evaluated.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Graduate Certificate of Gender, Peace and Security