6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Composition and creative music technology specialisation.
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
The unit requires students to manipulate composition materials and apply music technology skills to create short works. Students will compose original works for small groups of acoustic instruments and manipulate recordings into compositions. In addition, students will learn basic recording skills and approaches to critique music compositions.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- apply fundamental techniques of music composition;
- mix a music recording;
- create short acoustic and electronic musical works;
- identify and discuss select composition materials;
- perform competently in a chosen/approved music ensemble;
- critique compositions, demonstrating listening skills.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information