6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
or equivalent language competence
The unit will consist of two integrated and complementary sections: Culture and Language.
Culture: an introduction to Italian history, culture and society in the twentieth century, through the critical analysis of important cultural texts.
Language: practical language acquisition and improved knowledge of grammatical structures at level B1 of the European Framework, through oral practice and the use of contemporary written, aural and audiovisual materials representing a variety of social situations and registers.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students should be able to:
- utilise grammatical concepts and vocabulary at a level equivalent to B1 of the European language framework;
- competently communicate at a level equivalent to B1 of the European language framework;
- analyse and discuss the interrelation between history and cultural production in 20th century Italy;
- critically and creatively analyse cultural texts of historical relevance.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information