6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Composition and creative music technology specialisation.
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
The unit develops advanced skills in compositions and music technology by requiring students to conceptualise and articulate an original interactive work. Students will develop new strategies and refine personal 'sound' production values in relation to this task, and work with a professional ensemble to realise the work. Students will also apply music software programming and networked performance skills.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- design and compose an original interactive work;
- formulate personal 'sound' production values;
- apply music software programming and networked performance skills;
- communicate compositional ideas effectively to musicians;
- review and critique the work of peers, demonstrating perceptive music listening skills.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Composition and creative music technology