6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the double award Master International/Master of Transportation Systems with South East University, China.
This unit develops students' understanding of the models used to support decisions about the planning or operation of the transportation system. The emphasis is on strategic network models which are used for longer term network planning and microsimulation models which focus on operational considerations. The traditional four step models of trip generation, mode choice and traffic assignment are considered in detail. The unit introduces the principles of simulation when applied to transport operations.
After completing this unit students will be able to:
- differentiate the component models used in transportation network modelling
- appraise various transport models to assess their strengths, weaknesses and suitability for particular modelling tasks
- formulate, calibrate, apply and interpret a range of transportation models
- justify the role of analytic modelling in transportation planning and traffic engineering
Continuous assessment: 50%
Examination (2 hours): 50%
Students must pass both components.
150 hours study
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study