6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit introduces students to the concepts of inclusivity and the ways that family and professional partnerships are an essential element of early years education. It explores the rationales and practices in the early years setting and profession to achieve inclusion for all learners. Students engage in critical analysis of current inclusion and professional partnership practices locally and globally. Within this framework of analysis, the evaluation and application of evidence-based practice in relation to inclusivity and partnership is established. Major theoretical perspectives and current debates related to development are explored and students learn how to interpret and implement curriculum and legislative requirements that impact on professional practice and planning to meet diverse learner needs.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- develop sound knowledge of current rationales and practices in inclusivity and inter-professional partnerships
- critically analyse inclusive and professional partnership practices in local and international early childhood education settings
- evaluate evidence-based practices of inclusivity and partnerships
- interpret and implement curriculum and legislative requirements to meet diverse learner needs
- demonstrate the ability to engage in professional partnerships that support inclusive education.
Critical essay/narrative on inclusive and partnership practices in early childhood education (1600 words, 40%)
Report on developing strategies to teach children with diverse ability needs to meet curriculum and legislative requirements (2400 words, 60%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2 hours per week
- Additional requirements:
- 10 hours of independent study per week
See also Unit timetable information