6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (Online)
- Second semester 2019 (Evening)
- Teaching Period 3 2019 (Online)
- Teaching Period 6 2019 (Online)
FIT9003, FIT9019, FIT5132
This unit will introduce the concept of data management in an organisation through relational database technology. Theoretical foundation of relational model, analysis and design, implementation of relational database using SQL will be covered.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explain the motivations behind the development of database management systems;
- describe the underlying theoretical basis of the relational database model and apply the theories into practice;
- evaluate several design options and construct a database design;
- develop a database based on a sound database design;
- construct queries that meet user requirements;
- contrast the differences between non-relational database models and the relational database model.
Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
For Monash Online: In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2 hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory.
- Study schedule for off-campus students:
- Off-campus students generally do not attend lecture and lab sessions, however should plan to spend equivalent time working through the relevant resources and participating in discussion groups each week.
- Contact hours for Monash ONLINE students:
- Two hours/week online group sessions
- Online students generally do not attend lecture, tutorial and lab sessions, however should plan to spend equivalent time working through resources and participating in discussions.
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week (22 hours per week for Monash Online students) for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information