6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
and either or GLS1242 or VIS1112 OR APA1312
APA2303 or APA2411
This unit provides a rigorous program to broaden students awareness of conceptual approaches to Glass Blowing and sculpting with molten glass. Continued research and skill development will foster the acquisition of a personal visual language, utilising the unique optical and material qualities of glass. Students will create projects with an emphasis on multidisciplinary approaches.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Apply skills in sculpting with molten glass in conjunction with further developing glass blowing skills;
- Work collaboratively in facilitating visual outcomes and the development of projects;
- Conceptually explore the unique optical and material qualities of glass and its application to contemporary practice;
- Discuss, reflect on and critique their work and concepts with their peers through well-researched class presentations;
- Analyse and develop a deeper understanding of glass media utilised by contemporary Fine Art practitioners;
- Understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 4 contact hours plus 8 hours of independent study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information