6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Must be enrolled in M5010
This unit will introduce students to the laboratory, allowing them to develop the basic skills required to perform research in the field of reproductive biology.
Through a series of lab based tasks, as well as analysis of the current literature and tuition in understanding and using biostatistics, students are prepared for conducting their own lab-based research project in.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic laboratory skills associated with research in reproductive biology
- Comprehend the literature available and synthesize a review that describes the current scientific understandings
- Develop skills in report writing and scientific biostatistics
- Demonstrate skills in the presentation of scientific data
- Compose a research plan to solve a problem using well established experimental design and measurable outcomes
- Outline the current scientific methods used in the reproductive sciences
- Lab book (1,000 words) (10%)
- Literature review (2,500 words) (40%) (hurdle)
- Biostatistics assignment (1,000 words) (25%)
- Research plan (1,500 words) (25%)
This unit is conducted over six weeks in the first semester.
The unit has 1-2 hours of lectures/ tutorials scheduled per week, and 4h of lab based practical classes per week. At 80% attendance rate for practical sessions will be required to pass the unit.
See also Unit timetable information