6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
or or or IAR2113 or or or or and
This unit provides an overview of furniture design practice in Industrial Design. It outlines specific issues of the design process with particular reference to form, materials and structure. Methods of design communication and presentation are explored and applied.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Understand the diversity of materials and processes for making furniture;
- Have increased sophistication in ergonomic analysis;
- Understand constructional requirements and techniques;
- Understand the development of furniture design concepts;
- Undertake simple three-dimensional projects with regard to functional, technical, structural and aesthetic design criteria;
- Understand and practice the rules of occupational health and safety in force in the industrial design studio.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information