12 points, SCA Band 3, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
(or ) and , and
, , and .
Must be enrolled in M6011, M6018 or M6019
This unit provides students with the opportunity to be engaged in activities and tasks which contribute to a research study or an issue in professional practice. Students will be placed with an academic, research or professional practice group to undertake an intensive scholarly experience in an area of research or professional practice relevant to medical science or clinical practice.
An appropriately qualified and experienced supervisor will identify a program and work with the student to ensure that appropriate learning opportunities and tasks are undertaken.
Activities may encompass definition of the problem/question/task, identification of an appropriate theoretical model, development and documentation of a relevant methodology, data collection and analysis and production of reports.
Students will prepare oral and written presentations to communicate information relating the area of work, the nature of their specific tasks and the outcomes of their activities to relevant audiences.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Utilise specialist knowledge and skills to justify the need for a research, teaching or professional practice issue to be investigated or evaluated
- Devise and implement a plan for the project and identify key outputs
- Review, synthesise and critically appraise peer reviewed literature in a specific area of medical science, education or professional practice
- Practice, and demonstrate an understanding of, academic integrity, research integrity and ethical behaviour in the context of medical science and/or delivery of care
- Collect and categorise information related to a key question relevant to the community and to medicine
- Analyse and summarise information related to a key question relevant to the community and to medicine
- Justify approaches to solve a complex problem relevant to their project
- Communicate critical arguments or key concepts and findings to a professional audience in oral and written formats
6-weeks full-time placement
- Online Modules (10%)
- Student-Supervisor output agreement (1,000 words) (0%) (Hurdle)
- Placement report (4,000 words equivalent) (60%) (Hurdle)
- Executive summary (oral and written) (30%)
This 12-point unit will be undertaken during a full-time 6-week placement.
There will not be any other concurrent assessment or attendance requirements, so the expectation is that of a full-time load of 48h face-to-face and private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information