6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
. Students must have completed 24 credit points before undertaking this unit.
It is strongly recommended that this unit be undertaken in the last semester of study for the Master of Business (Managing human capital specialisation).
Strategic human resource management and context; SHRM models; the HRM and organisational performance link; high performance work systems; managing the employment relationship; employee voice; ethics and social responsibility; international strategic HRM.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- examine the relationship between people management and strategy
- critically analyse the strategic planning and implementation considerations associated with key areas of HRM strategy
- critically analyse the potential for human resource management to enhance competitive advantage, organisational performance and sustainability
- identify and examine different perspectives and value systems in strategic people management
- critically analyse strategic HRM theories and practices and their applications to organisational realities
- apply theories of people management and strategy to a practical work environment.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information