6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
Must be enrolled in course 4529 or M6021
This unit provides students with the skills and knowledge to apply tools, techniques, programs or strategies to improve the quality of care and patient safety. Students completing this unit will be exposed to current best practice techniques aimed at developing and implementing system improvements to reduce the occurrence of adverse patient outcomes and continually improve the safety and quality of patient care. This unit will cover key approaches used to measuring, monitoring and managing health care for improving quality of care and patient safety. Within the unit students will have the opportunity to develop novel interventions, whilst also evaluating existing interventions aimed at maintaining and improving patient quality and safety.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an integrated understanding of key approaches used to measure, monitor and manage health care for improving quality of care and patient safety.
- Distinguish the strengths and limitations of the tools, techniques, programs and strategies currently used for improving quality of care and patient safety.
- Critically analyse the strengths and limitations of different tools, techniques, programs or strategies for improving quality of care and patient safety.
- Utilise an appropriate tool, technique, program or strategy for a particular dimension of quality, clinical setting, patient population in a logically feasible manner.
- Implement and critically evaluate a tool, technique, program or strategy for improving quality of care and patient safety in the workplace.
- Formulate and examine factors that impact on the selection, acceptance and sustainability of initiative for improving quality of care and patient safety.
- Responses to 6 weekly forum discussion topics (40%) (hurdle)
- Written assignment (1,800 words) (30%)
- Reflective essay (1,800 words) (30%)
Off-campus: 20 hours per week for 6 weeks.
See also Unit timetable information