6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Teaching Period 6 2019 (Online)
Must be enrolled in course 4529 or M6021
This unit will examine foundation aspects of public health with a focus on contemporary challenges. Students will apply this knowledge to critically appraise initiatives to address complex health issues from a public health perspective, and will be expected to engage with current public health issues and communicate their ideas clearly and effectively.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Describe the basic principles and tools of public health practice.
- Examine the interdisciplinary and intersectoral relationships that contribute to public health.
- Discuss a range of behavioural, social and cultural, environmental and political determinants of health.
- Identify and appraise methods and application of disease prevention and control at a population level.
- Define the principles of evidence based practice and assess their implementation across public health initiatives.
- Written reflections in moderated discussion forum over 6 modules (approx. 300 words each) (total 30%)
- Critical summary (1,200 words) (20%)
- Online quiz (10%)
- Written report (2,400 words) (40%) (hurdle)
Off-campus: 20 hours per week for 6 weeks.
See also Unit timetable information