6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
or VCE Specialist Mathematics units 3 and 4 with a study score of at least 30
Solution of systems of linear equations using Gaussian elimination; matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors; introduction to vectors; methods of integration - substitutions and integration by parts; solution of first-order ordinary differential equations - separable, use of integrating factor; solution of second-order linear ordinary differential equations with constant coefficients and applications; Taylor series and series convergence; the remainder term.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Understand the basic concepts of linear algebra, recognise and manipulate elements of vector spaces;
- Formulate and solve equations involving vectors and matrices, including for three-dimensional geometry;
- Identify and evaluate improper integrals;
- Solve simple first and second order differential equations, and formulate them for applications to physical systems;
- Compute Taylor series expansions, with remainder, for functions of one variable;
- Apply Taylor series and l'Hopital's rule to compute limits;
- Understand and compute the convergence properties of infinite series;
- Provide written reports that contain complete mathematical arguments.
End of semester examination (2 hours): 60% (Hurdle)
Continuous assessment: 40% (Hurdle)
Hurdle requirement: To pass this unit a student must achieve at least 50% overall and at least 40% for both the end-of-semester examination and continuous assessment components.
Three 1-hour lectures and one 2-hour applied class per week
See also Unit timetable information