6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
At least 12 points of level 4 OPM units.
Organisational innovation, R&D and new product/service development are particularly challenging for project management. Such projects are uncertain, ambiguous and complex and require different management approaches. This unit will explore alternative tools and techniques, focusing on design thinking, to provide the necessary means to manage and deliver such projects.
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Contrast and evaluate appropriate advanced project management perspectives to meet contextual demands and communicate findings.
- Appraise the concepts of innovation in the context of delivering projects.
- Critique the project management theory in the context of delivering innovation projects.
- Assess the application of design thinking and solution development to manage innovation projects.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study