12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Enrolment in the Master of Science
The unit is offered in a non-standard teaching period.
Students undertake studies in three selected topics in Physics and related fields, which provide fundamental instruction in key aspects of contemporary physics.
These develop expertise in theoretical and computational physics, data analysis and the skills required to effectively communicate their findings using contemporary communication tools. The three topics are chosen from:
Condensed matter physics - Part B
Introduction to quantum field theory
Atomic physics and quantum optics
Digital image processing and scientific visualisation
NB: Subject to approval by the Chief Examiner, one of the topics in PHS4021 may be replaced by a topic from.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental aspects of experimental physics, theoretical and computational physics, and related disciplines.
- Develop skills in theoretical and computational physics that are fundamental to the study of contemporary physics.
- Synthesise and interpret knowledge in theoretical and experimental physics.
- Make effective use of information and communication technology for the collection and analysis of data, the solution to problems in theoretical and experimental physics, and the written/oral presentation of work relevant to the area of study.
Examinations (2 hours): 50%
24 hours per week
- 3 x three hours lectures/workshops/tutorials per week
- Three hours of consultation and online discussions involving peers and staff
- 12 hours of independent study per week.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Master of Science in Physics