12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
Enrolment in the Master of Science
The unit will be offered annually from Semester 1, 2020 in a non-standard teaching period
Students undertake advanced studies in three selected topics in physics and related fields.
These extend the expertise in theoretical and computational physics, data analysis and the skills required to effectively communicate their findings using contemporary communication tools.
The topics are:
Advanced quantum mechanics
Advanced condensed matter physics - Part A
Advanced quantum field theory
Diffraction physics and imaging
NB: Subject to approval by the Chief Examiner, one of the topics in PHS5020 may be replaced by a topic from.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of advanced theoretical and computational physics, and related disciplines.
- Demonstrate high-level skills in theoretical/computation physics and/or experimental physics that are essential for advanced contemporary physics.
- Synthesize and interpret advanced knowledge in theoretical, computational and/or experimental physics.
- Apply knowledge and critical thinking skills to the solution of complex problems in contemporary physics.
Examinations (2 hours): 50%
A total of 24 hours per week:
- 3 three-hours of lectures/workshops/tutorials per week
- Three-hours of consultation and online discussions involving peers and staff
- 12 hours of independent study per week
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Master of Science in Physics