6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
or or IDE3106 or MMD3306 or or MMD3706 or VCO3106 or VCO3006
The unit provides a greater understanding of design studio operation and management. Topics centre around the operation of a small business (design studio) and include setting a foundation for the business (goals and objectives), marketing principles for gaining clients, client relationship management, project management, costing projects, writing fee proposals, job cost reconciliation, establishing a schedule of fees, overview of tax systems and company structures (incorporated companies, sole trader, GST and other tax obligations) and understanding resourcing for small business. The perspective will be on professional practice and conduct.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should:
- Comprehend the essential business principles for running a design and/or multimedia studio;
- Build the foundations for personal and business achievement;
- Be able to establish fees, new business marketing and negotiation;
- Be aware of business practice issues associated with project and people management;
- Possess personal and written presentation skills;
- Comprehend the OHSE obligations of small business operators.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information