6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit provides the fundamentals of mine ventilation, including properties of air, gas, dust and pollutants control, principles of airflow, ventilation network theory and mine ventilation system design, with the emphasis on analysis, systems design and practical application.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Apply the principles of fluid flow (including air-moisture behaviour) relevant to a ventilation system.
- Appreciate the occurrence of gases and particulate matter in confined spaces and select appropriate control strategies.
- Design a basic ventilation system (including primary and secondary circuits).
- Interpret and apply legislative requirements applicable to ventilation.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Continuous Assessment: 50%
Examination (2 hours): 50%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
2 hours lectures, 2 hours practice/laboratory and 8 hours private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information