6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Completion of 72 credit points in F6004 Master of Urban Planning and Design
This unit enables students to conduct scholarly research on topics related to Urban Planning and Design independently and in an ethical manner. The students are required to produce an independent research paper at the end of the semester. The paper can take any of the following forms: (a) an independent scholarly research project guided by a thesis supervisor and unit coordinator; (b) a directed project contributing to a larger research effort in the discipline; (c) a professional research project developed in the context of a student. In all cases, the research project must be a piece of original, creative work conceived and developed by the student.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to contribute to scholarly debate in Urban Planning and Design;
- Demonstrate the ability to perform original, independent research;
- Apply skills in qualitative and/or quantitative research methods;
- Demonstrate awareness on the ethical implications of research in Urban Planning and Design;
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
Student may require to travel to their study sites for primary data collection (e.g. to conduct questionnaire survey/interviews/focus groups).
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including weekly meeting with unit coordinator (1 hour) and project supervisor (0.5 hour), and 10.5 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information