12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 to First semester 2020 (On-campus)
Enrolment in an approved Honours or Graduate Diploma in Science in the discipline of Astrophysics
ASP4110 andtogether, are equivalent to but they enable students to study part time by allowing completion of the work over a longer time period.
Students are required to complete the first part of a research project involving original work on a topic chosen in consultation with their academic supervisor.
On completion of this unit (and) students will be able to:
- Understand, use and explain the basic concepts and principles of the research literature which underpins the chosen area of astrophysics research;
- Synthesise and interpret their knowledge gained in their study of the underpinning research literature, hence identifying a niche topic or topics within this existing body of literature, which represents a gap in knowledge suitable for original research;
- Solve a complex and outstanding problem or problems in the chosen area for original research;
- Present the results of their original research in both written form as a thesis, and present their key thesis results in oral form as a final seminar;
- Defend the results of their original research in an oral exam.
Research project (project work, research seminar, thesis and oral defence): 100%