6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
One of ESC2111, ESC2122,or
This unit will give a broad introduction to geophysical methods for students interested in the application of physics and mathematics for mineral exploration and general earth studies. Methods for gathering, processing and interpreting gravity, magnetic, seismic, electromagnetic and radiometric data are presented in order to provide geological constraints for mineral exploration and regional mapping. This unit includes an introduction to regional synthesis and structural geology.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Discuss the physical principles relating to observations of gravity, magnetics, electromagnetic, seismic and radiometric data.
- Discuss the fundamental parameters and the limitations of the equipment available for fieldwork.
- Use basic methods of data processing.
- Employ data display and analysis tools.
- Use qualitative and quantitative methods of interpretation.
- Generate geological syntheses using case histories.
Examination (2 hours): 50%
One 2-hour workshop and one 3-hour workshop per week
See also Unit timetable information