6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
FIT1004 or CSE2132 or equivalent
CSE3000, FIT3118, FIT4038
This unit extends the study from FIT1004 Data management. FIT2077 will introduce more advanced concepts in the areas of database design, SQL, query optimisation and the handling of unstructured data (XML) both externally and within a database. The issue of "Big Data" and the role played by BI technologies and data warehouses will be explored.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- design a database model from a given scenario, using the Extended Entity Relationship model;
- demonstrate a fluency with relational algebra commands;
- create triggers, procedures and functions to enhance the logic stored in a database;
- analyse SQL query operations to optimise their performance;
- create XML documents and schemas to represent a given scenario;
- implement, and manipulate, XML structure in a database;
- describe the role played by Data Warehouses and Business Intelligence (BI) with respect to "Big Data".
Examination (3 hours): 60%; In-semester assessment: 40%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information