12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester (extended) 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
Enrolment in this unit is conditional on the submission of a relevant project proposal (approximately 1 page). Contact email@example.com for further information.
This unit is designed to introduce a range of current issues in leadership, innovations and sustainability in health.
It is specifically intended to provide students with innovative ways to tackle global health care and health education challenges, drawing from local and international expertise and research.
Students are required to attend five days of compulsory master classes.
Themes will include:
- Health workforce planning and development
- Challenges to current health care delivery in Australasia and internationally
- Innovations in health care system and education planning.
- Leadership in complex environments.
Each of these will be supported by readings and activities within the students' own environments where possible.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify local and global issues which affect the sustainability of healthcare delivery and education
- Examine a range of different healthcare and health education models of delivery
- Apply design thinking processes to develop innovative ways to meet the healthcare needs of the community
- Articulate the rationale for researching these key areas of intensive research.
- Apply an in-depth understanding of at least one relevant area of the current literature to educational practice.
- Communicate a coherent summary of issues in a particular topical domain within the health professional education literature.
- Synthesise the implications of empirical and theoretical literature underpinning health professional education practice.
- Critique a range of perspectives within a particular topical domain within health professional education literature.
- Apply theoretical and empirical literature to the development of educational innovations within their own health professional education context.
- Analytical essay (4,000-5,000 words) (40%) (hurdle)
- Individual presentation plus documentation - 1 topic in-depth, emphasis on application to practice (Oral presentation 20 minutes, written documentation 1,500 words) (40%) (hurdle)
Teaching portfolio - including collection of at least one exercise pertaining to each masterclass (3,000 words) (20%) (hurdle)
Five days teacher directed learning (master classes) and up to 20 hours/week self-directed learning.
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
It is expected students attend all on-campus master classes.