12 points, SCA Band 3, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (Flexible)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Students will conduct the practical aspects of their minor research project in this unit. At the completion of the research, the students will compile and analyse their data using appropriate statistical methodology. The students will interpret their results and write up a research report. Students will also present their data in poster form. This unit will also provide students with training in the preparation of sperm for intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), the identification of spermatids, spermatocytes and other cell types recovered from testicular biopsies, and the assessment of fertilization. They will also be given practical training in ICSI mouse gametes using a variety of micromanipulation tools and instruments
On completion, students will be familiar with research methods including project planning, conducting laboratory-based research, data collection, data analysis, using appropriate statistical methods, and preparation of a research report in the style of a journal article. They will also receive a sound training in ICSI.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- perform a minor research project, apply appropriate statistical analysis, write up the findings, and compare to other findings in current literature
- identify applications of, and be skilled in the preparation of, micromanipulation instruments
- perform ICSI
- identify methods used for the preparation of sperm from ejaculates and testicular biopsies
- communicate their knowledge clearly and effectively.
- Research report (7,000 words) (40%) (Hurdle)
- Research abstract (10%)
- Poster presentation (20%)
- ICSI exam (30%)
20 hours contact per week (research project, practical skills training) (on-campus).
See also Unit timetable information