6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Students in non award programs (single unit / cross institutional enrolment): Applicants must have a medical degree or other health practitioner degree and be currently registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), or a similar local national registration body. Applicants who do not have a registrable degree with AHPRA or similar will be required to have the appropriate bachelors degree or equivalent. A minimum of 2 years vocational experience in a general practice setting is essential for both Australian and International applicants. Applicants will find the assessment tasks easier and more worthwhile if they are working in a primary health care setting at least two days per week.
Enrolment in Master of Family Medicine.
This unit aims to give students broad understanding of the current and future impacts of chronic disease management on primary care, together with knowledge of models and systems of response, and particular skills to use in their workplace.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Describe the burden, distribution and determinants of Chronic Disease within their own country and internationally
- Analyse the place of Primary Care / General Practice in the management of Chronic Diseases with particular reference to their own country and health care system
- Describe responses to the challenges of Chronic Disease Management as embodied in models such as the Chronic Care Model (Wagner), and their own country's responses to the challenges of this field
- Evaluate their current work-place performance in managing chronic disease, utilising audit and comparison with chosen standards or guidelines
- Plan change within their current work-place to improve Chronic Disease Management, utilising their previous evaluations, known effective interventions and published guides, templates and financial modelling.
Students are already working in the field - no extra time is needed for completion of this unit
- Clinical Research Task -Essay (1,500 words) (25%)
- Clinical Research Task - Best practice audit (1500 words) (25%)
- Clinical Research Task - Change management plan (1,500 words) (25%)
- Clinical Decision task - Case report (1500 words) (25%)
12 hours per week for 12 weeks - which is to include time reading materials, doing activities, self-directed study and completing assessments.
See also Unit timetable information