6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit is quota restricted. Selection is on a first-in, first enrolled basis.
MPH5041, unless enrolled in an Occupational and Environmental Health program or the Master of Medicine. Must be enrolled one of the following course codes:0046, 0160, 0702, 1884, 2311, 2312, 2314, 2868, 2870, 2872, 3198, 3403, 3416, 3420, 3421, 3422, 3440, 3807, 3862, 3873, 3874, 3896, 3900, M4006, M5007, M5017, M5018, M6008, M6023, M6024, M6025, M6026, M6027, M6028.
To be taken concurrently with MPH5041 together they are prerequisites for clinical epidemiology elective units.
Contents: rates, sources of data, descriptive & analytical epidemiology, epidemiological study designs, critical appraisal of literature, screening, prevention, exposure assessment, outbreak investigation, confounding & bias.
Students are expected to be competent at mathematics to a year 7 level
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explain and contextualise the purposes of descriptive and analytical epidemiology;
- explain and contextualise the concepts of study questions, population, sampling, exposure assessment, bias and confounding;
- analyse the strengths and weaknesses of different epidemiological study designs;
- critically analyse epidemiological papers from the medical research and OHS literature;
- evaluate the adequacy of exposure assessment in epidemiological studies;
- interpret and communicate the results of epidemiological studies; and
- solve complex problems relating to the use of epidemiological concepts and study designs.
- Online quiz (SAQ) (45 minutes) (5%)
- Test (MCQ) (45 minutes) (25%)
- Written assignment (2,000 words) (20%)
- Examination (MCQ/SAQ) (2 hours) (45%) (hurdle)
- Participation (5%)
2 contact hours per week for on-campus students.
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
2 day compulsory on-campus block for off-campus students.