6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Basic computer proficiency.
Students who complete the University of Melbourne unit POPH90086 'International Child Health' cannot also claim academic credit from undertaking MPH5250 'Women's and children's health: a global perspective'.
This unit provides an overview of women's and children's health in resource-limited settings. Using a life-cycle approach, this unit explores the major causes and underlying determinants of poor reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health and examines global policy and key public health strategies to improve health outcomes.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Describe the major causes of morbidity and mortality affecting women of reproductive age and children in resource-limited settings
- Analyse the underlying determinants of women's and children's health using a life-cycle approach
- Explain the links between gender and women's and children's health, and critically assess public health policy and programs from a gender perspective
- Identify effective public health interventions to improve the health of women and children in resource-limited settings and critique the evidence for these interventions
- Demonstrate an understanding of the challenges impacting on access, quality and delivery of services and public health programs in resource-limited settings and describe effective approaches to overcome these challenges.
- Essay (3,500 - 4,000 words) (60%) (Hurdle)
- Abstract outlining essay topic (400 words) (5%)
- Group presentation (15 minutes) (20%)
- Policy brief (1,000 words) (15%)
6 day intensive block (weekdays only).
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty's non-standard teaching datesFaculty's non-standard teaching dates (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/enrolments/non-standard-dates.html) page to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/processes/change/add-or-discontinue-units#penalties).
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
International development practice