12 points, SCA Band 3, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Please note that single Semester options for this unit can only be completed with approval from the unit coordinator
The unit is designed to consolidate the theoretical and practical skills acquired in the Master of Health Services Management or the Masters of Public Health by exploring in detail a complex problem within their workplace or within a health care setting. Alternatively, subject to the approval of the course coordinator, students may seek a limited placement in a health service to explore a particular issue for their case-study. This may include an overseas placement. The case-study is not intended to be original research. In some instances, this case study might be suitable for submission as the case-study for the Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators (RACMA) Fellowship.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Outline an issue or a problem in health service management issue of relevance to their personal development as a health service manager.
- Design a plan to gather literature and expert advice to inform an approach to dealing with the issue or problem.
- Produce a search strategy to gather relevant literature from the academic and grey literature.
- Synthesise and critically analyse the theory and literature associated with the health service management issue or problem.
- Interpret the findings from the literature review and communicate these to a specialist health management audience.
- Design an interview schedule and work plan to interview expert health management witnesses.
- Integrate the findings from interviewing expert health management witnesses with the findings from the literature review to identify practical management approaches to dealing with the relevant problem or issue.
- Demonstrate skill in communicating complex management theories and practice.
- Case study proposal (1,200 words) (10%)
- Literature review (4,800 words) (40%) (hurdle)
- Case study report (6,000 words) (50%) (hurdle)
12 hours self-directed study per week.
See also Unit timetable information