6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Only students enrolled in Bachelor of Science Advanced - Global Challenges (Honours) can enrol in this unit.
This is the first part of level-one Impact through science core studies of the Bachelor of Science Advanced - Global Challenges (Honours). It consists of two modules, undertaken in parallel: leadership and persuasive communication. Leadership development is undertaken through the adaptive leadership framework using an experiential learning approach. In this module students will focus on distinguishing the role of authority from the activity of leadership and understand what is required to make progress on complex challenges. Students will build persuasive communication skills and leadership presence through a variety of techniques. This unit also has a strong focus on developing teamwork skills through diverse modes. A 'dialogue' evening series will provide opportunities for networking through intimate discussions with leaders from a variety of industries.
On completion of the unit students will be able to:
- Compose arguments reflecting the key themes of adaptive leadership whilst demonstrating critical thinking skills;
- Construct a persuasive presentation demonstrating leadership presence though improvisation, storytelling and other speakership techniques;
- Demonstrate and reflect upon how to build and work in functional teams;
- Develop a digital presence demonstrating authenticity, personal values and ethical frameworks that have been identified through leadership development.
- Plan and take action on a personal leadership quest.
Continuous assessment: 20%
Student-led seminar: 20%
Leadership portfolio: 30%
Oral presentation: 10%
- One 1-hour online activity, one 1-hour seminar and one 3-hour workshop per week
- Four 2-hour 'dialogue' sessions (evening) per semester
See also Unit timetable information