As one of the premier Science faculties in Australia and in the world, Monash Science has an outstanding reputation for both teaching and research.
Monash Science is ranked the best university in Australia for Chemistry. *
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings has ranked our Schools of Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Mathematical Sciences, Physics and Astronomy within the top 100.
And our academics’ high-impact research has contributed to Monash University’s Number 1 ranking in the prestigious Nature Index.
* Academic Ranking of World Universities, 2015, QS World Rankings 2017
Our Research Strengths
- Emerging Infectious Diseases; Ecological Genomics; The Ecology of Change; Genetics and Evolution; Cell Biology and Biomedical Sciences
- Chemical Synthesis and Catalysis; Materials and Nanoscience; Chemical Biology and Health; Environmental and Analytical Chemistry; Food Science and Agriculture
- Weather and Climate; Ore Deposit Systems; Environmental Geochemistry; Synchrotron Geosciences; Earth Surface Processes; Tectonics and Geodynamics
- Discrete Mathematics (graph theory); Geometry and Topology; Applied and Computational Mathematics; Stochastic Modelling; Financial Mathematics; Interdisciplinary Mathematics
- New Physics and Symmetries via Particle Physics; Astrophysics; Novel X-ray, Visible Light and Electron Imaging
- Our researchers are leaders in their discipline and their research spans the theoretical to the applied, changes our lives, shapes our conversation and provides new ways to view and understand the world.