This medal is awarded to a science bachelor degree student in their final year. The successful student will have an excellent academic record and have demonstrated a significant commitment, while at Monash, to advancing the University's goals of social justice, human rights and a sustainable environment.
Number of Awards
One Sir John Monash Medal is awarded per year to a student enrolled in a degree of the Faculty of Science. The medal will be proclaimed at a Faculty of Science graduation ceremony and will also be included on official University transcripts.
The following eligibility criteria apply:
- Recipients of the Sir John Monash Medal must be in their final year in a Faculty of Science Bachelor course (single or double) or Honours Program and qualify for the award of Bachelor or Honours at the end of the academic year.
- Recipients of the Sir John Monash Medal must have a minimum of a Distinction average grade over level-two and level-three units (Bachelor degree) or level-three and level-four units (Honours or four-year degrees) studied at Monash towards the relevant course .
- Students who have failed unit(s) within the relevant course are not eligible for this award, except under exceptional circumstances.
- Recipients must demonstrate to have made an outstanding contribution to advancing the University's goals of social justice, human rights and a sustainable environment.
- Former winners of the Sir John Monash Medal are not eligible to apply.
Nominations and Selection Process
- A nomination can be made by the student, a fellow student, any Monash staff member, or any member of the community by completing the nomination form (DOC, 0.26 MB).
- The nomination must include a letter explaining the reason for the nomination, any supporting information which could be of use to the selection committee and permission from the student to have his or her records released to the selection committee.
- The selection committee will shortlist the nominees for an interview.
- After conducting the interviews, the selection committee will determine the student to be awarded the Sir John Monash Medal.
- Closing date for nominations: 3 February
Students are eligible for admission to the Dean's List if they are enrolled in:
- an undergraduate course managed by the Faculty, or
- an Honours course managed by the Faculty of Science (ie students are eligible for admission during their honours year on the basis of their third-year results), or
- a double-degree course that includes the Bachelor of Science.
Students must also have:
- achieved at least a distinction grade (70% and above) for all science units completed in the previous calendar year, and
- achieved a weighted average of at least 85% across all science units undertaken in the previous calendar year, and
- completed a minimum of 24 points of science units in the previous calendar year.
Where a student has completed more than 48 points of science units in the previous calendar year, only their best 48 points will be counted in determining their eligibility for Dean's List status. Admission to the Dean's List for students enrolled in a double degree will be determined on the basis of their results in science units only.