ProfessorPh.D. University of London
Telephone: +61 3 9905 9593
Paul studied Zoology at Oxford University before undertaking a PhD at University College London under the supervision of RJ (Sam) Berry and David P Cowan. Subsequently he was given the exciting opportunity to become a research associate in one the world's first conservation genetics groups at the Institute of Zoology, Zoological Society of London, captained by Georgina M Mace and Robert K Wayne. During the following few years, Paul learned genetics in ecology and conservation from the growing, excellent team including Michael W Bruford and Andrea C Taylor.
Having decided that marrying Australian Andrea Taylor was one of his better ideas, Paul did so and consequently emigrated to Australia. There he joined Macquarie University in Sydney for 6 years as a research associate working on genetics in ecology and conservation of diverse native Australian organisms with Noel N Tait, David A Briscoe, Andrew Beattie and Dinah F Hales. A subsequent move to Monash University in Melbourne saw a spell of intensive parenting followed by a tenure-track position at La Trobe University where he built his own research group in earnest.
Paul's research is highly collaborative and uses a wide range of approaches in ecology and genetics to study the functioning and attributes of Australian fauna in natural systems and those impacted by human actions. A main uniting theme is how organisms are able to inhabit and move through landscapes, and the consequences of natural and human-impacted habitat attributes on population function and characteristics. His favourite projects combine addressing important management question in an alluring ecosystem, working with a great team of smart, fun people.
Keywords: ecological management, connectivity, population persistence, habitat, fragmentation, evolutionary adaptation, genomics, landscape genetics/genomics, populations, biodiversity conservation
- 2015-present: Professor, School of Biological Sciences, Monash University
- 2007-present: Reader in Zoology, School of Biological Sciences, Monash University
- 2005: Senior Lecturer in Zoology, School of Biological Sciences, Monash University
- 2002: Senior Lecturer in Genetics, Dept of Genetics, La Trobe University
- 2000: Lecturer in Genetics, Dept of Genetics, La Trobe University
- 1999-2000: Parenting
- 1993-1998: Research Associate, School of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University
- 1990: Research Associate, Conservation Genetics Group, Institute of Zoology London