BIO1042 (Environmental Biology) is ideal for students interested in learning more about ecology and environmental science. Changes to, and the degradation of our environment are common concerns and the subject of considerable media attention. Environmental Biology covers the biosphere and environmental conditions, the adaptations of organisms to environmental stresses such as drought, salinity and fire, and the organization of plants and animals in aquatic, marine and terrestrial ecosystems.
This unit also covers environmental genetics, the important role of microbes in the geochemical cycling of elements and the evolution of the Australia's unique biota. Human impacts on the environment, and the effective and responsible management of biological resources are also included in BIO1042.
As with other first year Biology units, BIO1042 is structured to encourage self-paced learning, with considerable feedback on written work and other assessment tasks.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Understand the nature and importance of biodiversity, evolutionary concepts and processes, aspects of the evolution of the Australian biota and the nature of biogeochemical cycles;
- Work in teams to discuss, design and implement a field experiment, including the gathering, analysis and presentation of data using appropriate software;
- Undertake field observations of a species and collate, input and analyse such data;
- Communicate scientific principles and information underlying biology-related topics in written or oral formats and using appropriate conventions for scientific attribution;
- Demonstrate and utilise skills in the use of library catalogues and databases to locate suitable information for essays and practical reports.
|Names||Dr Richard Burke|
|Names||Tova Crossman and Dr Saw-Hoon Lim|
|Phone||990 55945 and 990 50055|
|Names||Mr Christopher Wilson and Dr Yardenah Brickman|
|Office location||Student Enquiries, 23Rnf/G06|
|Phone||990 55624 and 990 55671|
|Prescribed||Campbell Biology (Australian and New Zealand Version) 10th edition|
|Program for 2016|
|University Handbook Entry||BIO1042- Synopsis, Assessment & Prerequisites|
|Schedule||BIO1042 - Lecture & Practical Schedule for 2016|
|Science Faculty||Information for Students - Enrolments, Prac Sessions, more.....|
|University||Information for Students - Timetables, Exam, Semester Dates, more.....|