BIO2022 - Evolutionary Ecology
Life on Earth has a three and a half billion year history, during which it has changed, diversified, suffered mass extinctions, and rebounded with astonishing new forms.
In this subject we examine the patterns and causes behind this history. Darwin's theories of natural selection and sexual selection form the starting point.
From there we look at the Earth's biodiversity, ask how life started in the first place, consider the evidence for a comet impact that wiped out the dinosaurs, ask why there are only two sexes and not more, and examine how diseases evolve to exploit their hosts, among many topics.
An evolutionary perspective helps to make sense of all other areas of biology. This subject provides a useful foundation for students interested in botany and zoology, genetics, environmental biology, psychology, and medical fields.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Describe the historical development of the theory of evolution and the evidence for the occurrence of evolution;
- Explain the fundamental processes of evolution and the major evolutionary events in the history of life;
- Describe the principles of systematically classifying organic diversity;
- Apply the techniques for inferring the evolutionary relationships of organisms;
- Synthesise and communicate scientific principles and information underlying evolution in oral and/or written formats.
|Names||Dr Damian Dowling|
|Office hours||By appointment - Please email|
|Prescribed||Freeman, Scott; Herron, Jon C. 2014. Evolutionary Analysis, 5th Edition. Pearson Benjamin Cummings. |
Allendorf, F. W., G. H. Luikart, and S. N. Aitken. 2013. Conservation and the Genetics of Populations. Second edition. Wiley.
|Program for 2015|
|University Handbook Entry||BIO2022 - Synopsis, Assessment & Prerequisites|
|Schedule||BIO2022 - Lecture & Practical Schedule for 2016|
|Science Faculty||Information for Students - Enrolments, Prac Sessions, more.....|
|University||Information for Students - Timetables, Exam, Semester Dates, more.....|