ENS5010 - Global Challenges and Sustainability
This unit, together with ENS5020, sets the context for considering the interactions and interdependence between nature and society and the basic principles of sustainability (social, economic and environmental), reflected in the Sustainable Development Goals.
This unit (Global challenges and sustainability) provides the scientific basis for understanding contemporary global environmental change and its implications for society.
Using the current global policy context in this area, it introduces the science of sustainability and the environment and its relevance to human well-being. It explores the key threats to sustainability, such as climate change, human migration, resource scarcity and emerging diseases. Core concepts covered in the unit include those of scale, systems and complexity.
The unit teaches problem structuring methods, evidence-based approaches and methods of interpreting risk and uncertainty. Particular emphasis is placed on developing skills to integrate evidence into sustainability actions across multiple sectors, systems and scales. Theory will be complemented with group learning exercises, professional development activities and engagement with practitioners.
On completion of this unit students will:
- Evaluate and integrate the multidisciplinary scientific evidence for contemporary global change and ecosystem services.
- Forecast challenges associated with global change and sustainability through analysing evidence and applying scientific knowledge, concepts and methods.
- Appraise, classify and prioritise complex systems, problems and solutions relevant to sustainability.
- Devise evidence-based approaches to sustainability through integrating data with multidisciplinary tools, frameworks and principles.
- Plan evidence-based sustainability actions across multiple sectors, systems and scales.
- Effectively communicate scientific knowledge across disciplines and communities of practice in environment and sustainability.
|Names||Dr. Susie Ho|
|Office Hours||By appointment - please e-mail|
|Program for 2017|
|University Handbook Entry||ENS5010- Synopsis, Assessment & Prerequisites|
|Schedule||ENS5010 - Schedule for 2017|
|Science Faculty||Information for Students - Enrolments, Prac Sessions, more.....|
|University||Information for Students - Timetables, Exam, Semester Dates, more.....|