GEN3030 - Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Genetics
The ability to monitor and manipulate gene activity in experimental models is critical to advance our understanding of how genes control phenotypes. This unit will explore in depth the latest techniques for studying gene expression and function. This includes assaying and visualizing gene expression and protein subcellular localization in vivo, methods for artificially activating or inhibiting gene activity including generating transgenic organisms and comparative and bioinformatic methods for inferring gene function and evaluation. The application of these techniques will be demonstrated using examples of the study of the function and evolution of function of genes underlying fundamental cellular, developmental and physiological processes such as: differentiation and growth, programmed cell death, cell-cell communication, cell movement, tissue patterning, neuronal signalling and cellular homeostatis and metabolism.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Compare and contrast techniques used to study gene function, including techniques to monitor gene transcription and protein cellular localisation and to manipulate gene activity in living organisms;
- Articulate the advantages provided by the use of model laboratory organisms to investigate molecular, cellular and developmental processes;
- Illustrate the application of gene function analysis techniques to advance medical, biological, agricultural, biotechnology and environmental research;
- Collect, analyse, interpret and present genetic data effectively in the preparation of scientific reports;
- Synthesise and critique new discoveries from the scientific literature in molecular, developmental and cellular genetics.
|Names||Assoc Prof Coral Warr|
|Office hours||By appointment - please e-mail|
|Recommended||Principles of Development, Wolpert, L., Oxford, Fifth Edition, 2015|
|Recommended||Molecular Biology of the Cell, Albert, B., Garland Science, Fifth Edition, 2008|
|Handbook Entry||GEN3030 - Synopsis, Assessment & Prerequisites|
|Schedule||GEN3030 - Lecture & Practical Schedule for 2016|
|Science Faculty||Information for Students - Enrolments, Prac Sessions, more.....|
|University||Information for Students - Timetables, Exam, Semester Dates, more.....|