ARC Future Fellow
MSci (Hons), PhD (London), MRSC, MRACI, CChem
Room: 123, Building 19
Phone: +61 3 9905 6293
Fax: +61 3 9905 4597
- 2012 –date: ARC Future Fellow, Monash University
- 2010 – 2012: AINSE Research Fellow, Monash University
- 2009: Post-doctoral research with Assoc. Prof. Stuart Batten and Prof. Keith Murray.
- 2006 – 2008: ARC Post-doctoral Research Fellow – ‘Heterobimetallic Coordination Complexes Containing Rare Earth and d-Block Ions’ (DP0665938).
- 2005: Post-doctoral research with Profs. Peter Junk and Glen Deacon at Monash University.
- 2001-2004: PhD (King’s College, London) with Prof. Jon Steed: ‘Anion Binding Properties and Solid-State Studies of Novel Urea-Containing Ligands and Derivatives’.
- 1997-2001: MSci(Hons) (King’s College, London).
Dr Turner has published 67 scientific papers and two review articles, in addition to the ‘Core Concepts . . .’ and ‘Coordination Polymers . . .’ books (as of January 2013, see publications page). He has been a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry since 2001 and currently holds a Research Fellowship from the Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE) at Monash University. He has presented work at several national and international conferences and acts as a referee for Aust. J. Chem., New J. Chem.,Dalton Trans., Chem. Commun., CrystEngComm, Cryst. Growth Des. and J. Mol. Struc. Dr Turner participates in the CSIRO operated ‘Scientists in Schools’ program.
- CHM2735: ‘Chemistry – Principles and Practice’
- Honours ‘Metallosupramolecular Chemistry’
- CHM1070: ‘Basic Chemistry for Engineers’ – Laboratory supervisor
Coordination Polymers: Design, Analysis and Applications
A research level book exploring the fascinating field of coordination polymers by Stuart R. Batten, Suzanne M. Neville and David R. Turner, published by the Royal Society of Chemistry in December 2008.
‘This is the first book to provide a broad overview of all the major facets of coordination polymer research in one place. It combines chapters on nets and interpenetration with wide-ranging surveys of transition metal and lanthanoid coordination polymers and their properties. The aim is to provide a flavour of each aspect whilst introducing the important concepts and developments using carefully selected examples.’
See the official book website for details. Reviewed in Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2009, 48, 4890.
Core Concepts in Supramolecular Chemistry and Nanotechnology
‘Core Concepts in Supramolecular Chemistry and Nanochemistry clearly outlines the fundamentals that underlie supramolecular chemistry and nanochemistry and takes an umbrella view of the whole area. This concise textbook traces the fascinating modern practice of the chemistry of the non-covalent bond from its fundamental origins through to it expression in the emergence of nanochemistry’.
See the official book website for details. Reviewed in J. Am. Chem. Soc.
Dr Turner’s recent research focuses on the use of small dinitrile ligands and their derivatives for the construction of heterobimetallic networks and hydrogen-bonded systems, coordination polymers, the supramolecular chemistry of anions and chemical crystallography using neutrons (see research page).
Some publication highlights:
- “Nucleophilic Addition of Water and Alcohols to Dicyanonitrosomethanide: Ligands with Diverse Bonding Modes in Magnetically Coupled d-Block Complexes”, A.S.R. Chesman, D.R. Turner, B. Moubaraki, K.S. Murray, G.B. Deacon and S.R. Batten, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2010, 59.
- “Octapi Interactions: Self-assembly of a Pd-based -catenane driven by eightfold pi interactions”, J. Lu, D.R. Turner, L.P. Harding, L.T. Byrne, M.V. Baker and S.R. Batten, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2009, 131, 10372.
- “A sheet of clusters: Self-assembly of a (4,4) sheet of Fe(III)10 clusters”, D.R. Turner, S.N. Pek, J.D. Cashion, B. Moubaraki, K.S. Murray and S.R. Batten, Dalton Trans., 2008, 6877.
- “Heterotapes – Mixed amide-nitrile hydrogen bonding motifs”, D.R. Turner, S.N. Pek and S.R. Batten, Chem. Asian J., 2007, 2, 1534.
- “Homoleptic 12-coordinate lanthanoids with η2-nitroso ligands”, A.S.R. Chesman, D.R. Turner, E.I. Izgorodina, G.B. Deacon and S.R. Batten, Dalton Trans., 2007, 1371.
- “A conformationally flexible, urea-based tripodal anion receptor”, D.R. Turner, M.J. Paterson and J.W. Steed, J. Org. Chem., 2006, 71, 1598.
- “Anion-binding by Ag(I) complexes of urea-substituted pyridyl ligands”, D.R. Turner, B. Smith, I. Radosavljevic-Evans, A.E. Goeta, E.A. Spencer, D.A. Tocher, J.A.K. Howard and J.W. Steed, New. J. Chem., 2005, 1, 90
For more publications please click here.