Dr Brendan Wilkinson
Room: Room 243A, Building 23, Clayton
Phone: +61 3 990 58387
Fax: +61 3 9905 4597
- BSc (Hons) Griffith University 2003; PhD Griffith University 2007; MRACI, CChem
- EPSRC Post-doctoral research associate, University of Oxford 2007-09
- ARC Post-doctoral research associate, The University of Sydney, 2009-12
- Discovery Early Career Research Fellow: Monash University, 2013-present
- Synthesis and biomedical applications of photo-switchable carbohydrate-based surfactants.
- Glycopeptide dendrimers as synthetic cancer vaccines and antifreeze agents.
Organic synthesis and functional supramolecular materials
- New synthetic approaches for peptide ligation chemistry.
- Dynamic combinatorial chemistry as a tool for the discovery of new chiral catalysts.
- Template-directed synthesis of cyclodextrin mimics for drug delivery.
Bioorganic and medicinal chemistry
- Dynamic combinatorial chemistry as a tool for screening peptide based therapeutics.
- Oligonucleotide and polyamide-based drugs for the treatment of autoimmune diseases.
- Carbohydrate and glycopeptide-based vaccines for neglected tropical diseases.
Our group is interested in the design and synthesis of responsive carbohydrate biomaterials and their biomedical applications. Current areas of research include pH- and photo-responsive sugar surfactants as drug delivery vectors and excipients, glycopeptide dendrimers as synthetic cancer vaccines and antifreeze agents. We are also interested in developing self-assembled carbohydrate macrocycles as potential drug carriers and investigating new synthetic tools for the de novo synthesis of proteins and glycoproteins. We actively collaborate with a number of prominent researchers within Australia and internationally, including Assoc. Prof. Martin Stone (Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash Univ.), Dr. Rico Tabor (Chemistry, Monash), Assoc. Prof David Lupton (Chemistry, Monash), Assoc. Prof. Vipul Bansal (RMIT), Prof. Robert Ben (Ottawa) Prof. Eric Morand and Dr. Eric Morand (Southern Clinical School, Monash), and Assoc. Prof. Helen Blanchard (Glycomincs, Griffith).
We are always interested in recruiting students and post-doctoral researchers to join our group. Please contact me to discuss opportunities. We currently have two PhD vacancies available for research in a number of project areas. Please note that scholarships are highly competitive and applications subject to rigorous review.
- Continuous research funding from the ARC (Discovery early career research award).
- Over 35 refereed publications, book chapters and patents