Skip to content

Student life and support services


If you're unhappy with the result of a formal complaint to your faculty or a university service area, you can refer your complaint to the Ombudsman.

Ombudsman's investigation

The complaint process with the University Student Ombudsman involves the following steps.

  1. You lodge a complaint with Ombudsman (after going through a formal complaints process with your faculty, the relevant service area, or the Graduate School of Research)
  2. The Ombudsman makes informal enquiries to decide if an investigation is needed
  3. If the Ombudsman investigates, they will eventually:
    • make recommendations for the resolution of the grievance to University Provost
    • dismiss your complaint.
  4. You can then go to the Victorian Ombudsman if you are still unhappy.

Ombudsman's authority

The University Student Ombudsman can:

  • talk to University staff
  • inspect documents
  • get independent legal advice
  • recommend changes to university practices to prevent similar complaints.

The University Student Ombudsman reports to University Council each year on student complaints and the effectiveness of the relevant complaints policies and procedures.

Get help

Send us a question

We aim to respond to you by email within one business day.

Visit us today

Visit us at Monash Connect on your campus

Monday to Friday
9am - 5pm

Call us

We're available Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm

+61 3 9902 6011