Before classes start and in the first few weeks
The most important things to do when you arrive are:
- open a bank account and deposit your bank drafts, traveller's cheques or cash
- finalise your accommodation
- get to know your neighbourhood and transport options
- attend your enrolment session, enrol in units and collect your student ID card
- ensure you provide an Australian contact address in the Web Enrolment System (WES)
- attend orientation week and get to know your campus
- find casual work if you need to.
If you need help, contact international student advisers at Monash Connect at your campus.
Working in Australia
The key steps before applying to work are to:
- Check that you can work in Australia
- Check whether your qualifications and skills meet Australian standards
- Apply for a Tax File Number
- Find out about your workplace rights
- Learn how to search for job opportunities
Adjusting to life in Australia
It is hard to be away from home. Don't be surprised if you struggle with:
- A new living, study and cultural environment
- Australian English and the climate
Adjusting to university life suggests things to do to:
- Get ready for university
- Make friends and connections
- Prepare for study
Salaam Monash is a handbook for new Muslim students at Monash. This handbook will help you to find mosques and prayer centres, Muslim service providers and doctors, and Halal food.
You can download a copy of the Salaam Monash handbook (pdf, 3 mb) or pick one up from any Monash Connect.