Frequently-asked questions about studying at Monash University

Can I work while I study?

Student visas (issued since 26 April 2008) automatically grant students permission to do paid work while studying. You can work up to 20 hours per week while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.

For more information, including working rights for dependent family members, visit the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

Can I change my course preference?

Yes. If you have an offer and would like to change your course preference, you need to complete the 'Change of course preference' form in your offer kit and return it to International Recruitment Services as soon as possible.

The Change of Preference form (PDF, 0.91 MB) is also available online.

Can I apply for credit transfer?

Yes. It is possible to get credit for previous study if you have completed or partially completed tertiary studies at another institution. You may have heard people refer to credit transfer as 'advanced standing' or 'recognition of prior learning'.

Your faculty will decide if they will award you credit transfers.

With your application, you must mail certified copies of all your official transcripts or results from previous studies plus copies of subject syllabus.

You must make an application for a credit transfer and have it approved in writing, BEFORE you enrol. Otherwise you may not receive the credit. Receiving a credit will affect the duration of your study and will be reflected in your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE).

Complete the Credit Transfer Application form (PDF, 0.13 MB).

Can I defer my studies to a later date?

Yes, it is possible:

  • Your request must be in writing to International Recruitment Services office with all supporting documentation.
  • You are required to submit your request before the semester starts.
  • If you defer for more than 12 months we will ask you for details of any academic or work activities you have undertaken during that period before we can reassess your offer.

If Monash approves your deferment:

  • We will send you a new offer letter and start date.
  • We will retain a non-refundable deposit of $3,000 allocated from any prepaid fees and will refund the balance. We will offset the $3,000 against your student fee when you start your course again.

If Monash rejects your deferment, we will notify you.

What if I already have a health insurance provider?

This is not a problem. If you already have health insurance with a provider other than the Monash preferred supplier, OSHC Worldcare, you need to provide evidence of 12 months health cover to satisfy visa requirements.

You will need to produce a receipt of payment when submitting your acceptance documents to Monash and then your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) can be issued.

It is an Australian Government rule that you must maintain suitable health insurance while you are studying in Australia.

What if I have already paid but cannot start the Monash course?

It is possible to receive a refund. We will give a full refund if:

  • Monash University withdraws your offer or is unable to provide your chosen course.
  • You are unable to meet the requirements of your conditional offer.
  • You have paid your fees in advance and are excluded from Monash University through failure to successfully progress through your degree/diploma.
  • The Australian Government refuses to grant you a visa.
  • Illness or disability prevents you from accepting your place at Monash University.
  • Death of a close family member occurs.

We require full documented evidence before we make an assessment on your refund application.

Normally, we give the refund in the currency of your home country and payable in that country. Exceptions include payment to another Australian educational institution if you have transferred, or a refund to a third party who had paid fees on your behalf.

Refund processing with correct documentation can take around 20 working days.

If Monash University makes an offer based on incorrect or incomplete information being supplied by you, the offer will be withdrawn and the tuition fees paid are refundable less an administrative fee of 10 per cent.

You are not eligible for a refund if you withdraw from your course for whatever reason after the census date (31 March for semester one, 31 August for semester two).

Can I apply for a scholarship?

We automatically assess you for a "Monash University International Scholarship for Excellence" when we process your application, so there is no need to apply. We will contact you if we are offering you one of these scholarships.

Numerous other scholarships are available. And yes, you do need to apply for them.

Can I enrol in a subject from another Monash faculty?

Yes, this is possible. Many faculties will allow you to study a subject from another faculty. Fees may be higher or lower than those stated in your original offer letter. For more detailed subject information, view Course Finder.

What if I fail a subject at Monash?

You will need to repeat the subject at full cost. If you are enrolled part-time and in your final semester of study you can only repeat a subject once.

Can I extend my degree/visa?

Yes, on completion of your degree course, you are often able to obtain an extension, eg to do an Honours or Masters course. Normally, different tuition fees apply to postgraduate study.

If you need to extend your visa to complete your course or to study other courses in Australia you must submit your visa application BEFORE your visa expires. Check the visa issuing conditions on extensions.

International Recruitment Services can give you information about organising a visa extension.

Obtaining a visa extension is your responsibility.

Can I take leave of absence (intermission)?

Yes, you can defer progress in your degree, BUT you must get your faculty's permission. If you are an international students on a student visa, we only give permission for intermission on compassionate grounds such as illness or severe personal circumstances.

Applications must have documented support.

The Australian immigration authorities require us to inform them of your enrolment status once you leave your course. Normally, when you defer, the government requires you to leave Australia.

What if my address changes while I am in Australia?

It is a requirement of your student visa that you notify Monash University of your change of address within seven days of your arrival in Australia and within seven days of any subsequent change of address.