A (non) residential university

A (non) residential university

1965

Living on campus

The Halls became an important factor in Monash’s success in attracting rural students. Monash avoided Oxbridge-style colleges in favour of secular halls of residence. The University’s only ‘true’ college, Mannix College, was opened to men in 1969 and became co-ed in 1974.

Deakin Hall (1962)

The first of the Halls to open to students was Deakin, named for Australia’s second Prime Minister Alfred Deakin [1856-1919]. Unfortunately, the Hall was not ready for students when the university first opened, accepting its first applicants for the following year. Deakin was the first university residence in Australia to house both men and women in the same building (although initially they were on separate floors). This was more a matter of necessity than policy; separate wings were planned for male and female students, but in 1962 only the first wing was ready for occupancy. See more: Deakin Hall

Farrer Hall (1965)

Named in honour of William Farrer [1845-1906], a leader Australian agronomist and plant breeder, Farrar Hall had its first intake of students in 1965. See more: Farrer Hall

Howitt Hall (1966)

Howitt Hall is named in honour and recognition of Alfred Howitt, explorer, geologist and anthropologist. See more: Howitt Hall

Roberts Hall (1971)

Roberts Hall is named after Tom Roberts, the father of Australian Landscape painting. By this time, student demand for on-campus living has started to drop off, although by the 1990s, Roberts Hall has become the ‘hall of choice’ for international students on the Clayton Campus. See more: Roberts Hall

Richardson Hall (1972)

Richardson Hall is named in honour of Henry Handel Richardson (H.H.R.), the prominent Australian author who adopted her male pseudonym in 1908 and used it constantly (even in private) until her death, in preference to her own Ethel Florence Lindesay Richardson. See more: Richardson Hall