The Faculty of Arts and Monash Graduate Research Office are committed to helping you make the most of interesting opportunities and celebrate your success as you complete your research. Numerous funding schemes are available to support your candidature.
|Funding source||PhD Allowance||Masters by Research allowance|
|Monash Graduate Research Office Travel Grant||$1,175||$1,175|
|Faculty of Arts Travel Grant||$1,640||$1,640|
|Faculty of Arts Graduate Research Bursary||$4,000||$2,000|
|Total research support available to graduate research students||$6,815||$4,815|
At some point in your graduate research candidature, you will almost certainly be given the chance to meet with experts and leading thinkers in your field. Students can apply to study away from the University in order to interact and engage with such experts, undertake data collection, attend conferences, pursue research in archives, undertake field trips, surveys and interviews and to access equipment and/or resources not available at Monash University.
Before Booking Travel
- Discuss intentions to travel away from Monash University with your supervisor
- Check the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT) travel advisories for international travel
- Speak with your Program Administrator about the application process
- All applications must be lodged at least 6 weeks in advance of the expected travel date. Retrospective applications will not be considered by the Monash Graduate Research Office (MGRO).
How to Book Travel
- Graduate research students are encouraged to make international travel bookings through Monash University’s preferred travel management company, Corporate Travel Management (CTM).
- Print the travel insurance emergency ecard (international travel only) – All Monash staff and graduate research students are automatically covered by the Monash University general insurance policy for up to 365 days when travelling on Monash approved activity by the University’s travel insurance policy.
- Complete a Study Away/Travel Grant form
Study Away - Graduate Research students are required to obtain permission to “Study Away” when travelling interstate or overseas for any period of time to carry out their research or University related activities.
- Supporting documentation such as conference registration, evidence of acceptance of conference presentation, acceptance to work in an overseas archive, etc. must be provided.
Travel Grant - The travel grant assists with travelling expenses of graduate research students who are on approved study away from the University. This can be obtained after successful confirmation of candidature. Arts students who are successful in obtaining a MGRO travel grant will automatically receive the Faculty of Arts travel grant of $1,640. This is available only once during candidature.
Eligibility and selection criteria
In order to be eligible for the travel grants, you must:
- be currently enrolled in a graduate research degree in the Faculty of Arts at Monash University
- not be on a leave of absence from candidature for the period of the proposed travel
- not be under examination
- have successfully completed your Confirmation of candidature
- obtain an approved study away to carry out integral part of the research program submit study away with travel grants request 6 weeks prior to the proposed departure date for Monash Graduate Research Office (MGRO) approval
- Common funding approvals include, but are not limited to, airfares, conference registrations, accommodation expenses while on approved study away, hire of special equipment for research, access to archives and visa costs.
- Common funding exclusions include, but are not limited to, passport renewals, and expenses incurred not concurrent with the MGRO travel grant scheme.
- Once your study away with travel grant application is approved, the Arts Finance Team will contact you directly to provide instructions on the claim process.
The Faculty of Arts provides funding to graduate research students to offset the reasonable costs that may be incurred in implementing the research design or disseminating the findings of a student’s research. This is intended to support research-related expenditure, and otherwise not available through the Monash Graduate Research Office.
Master students - $2,000 for the duration of candidature (i.e. up to 2 years full-time equivalent). Students will receive:
- $2,000 after successful Confirmation of candidature
PhD students - $4,000 for the duration of candidature (i.e. up to 4 years full-time equivalent). Students will receive:
- $2,500 after successful Confirmation of candidature
- $1,500 after successful completion of the Progress Review
Note: No payment will be made for an unsatisfactory milestone.