Indigenous Advisory Council
The Monash University Indigenous Advisory Council (IAC) is an advisory body to the University which makes recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor and to the University's Vice-Chancellor's Executive Committee (VCEC), and Major Initiatives Implementation and Oversight (MIIO).
The IAC reflects the views of local Indigenous communities and advises Monash in relation to Indigenous programs. Specifically, in relation to Indigenous access, participation and success in education, research and employment. The IAC engages all Faculties and Divisions in the engagement, support and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff and students.
The IAC is chaired by Professor Colin Bourke MBE. IAC members have been chosen for their substantial knowledge, experience, and strong links with different Indigenous communities both locally and interstate.
Indigenous Advisory Council
- Chair: Professor Colin Bourke
- Deputy Chair: Jenny Samms (Adjunct, School of Political and Social Inquiry, Faculty of Arts)
- Elder in Residence and Community Liaison: Aunty Diane Singh
- Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education): Professor Susan Elliott
- Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous): Professor Jacinta Elston
- Office of the Vice President (Administration) representative: Bridgid Connors (Director Human Resources)
- Academic Staff Member: Professor Lynette Russell (Director Monash Indigenous Centre, Faculty of Arts)
- Academic Staff Member: Associate Professor Karen Adams (Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health
- Academic Staff Member: Melissa Castan (Director, Castan Centre for Human Rights, Faculty of Law)
- Professional Staff Member: Brian Walker (Acting Director, Yulendj Indigenous Engagement Unit)
- Professional Staff Member: VACANT (Manager Indigenous Programs, Yulendj Indigenous Engagement
- Campus Community Division: Vladimir Prpich (Director)
- Student Members: Krystal De Napoli and Jyden Brailey, (Elected Monash Student Association Indigenous
Officers), and Andrew Giles (Postgraduate representative)
- External Members: Lionel Bamblett (Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Incorporated)
- External Member: Muriel Bamblett (Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA))
- External Member: Rueben Berg (Adjunct, Faculty of Art, Design & Architecture)
- External Member: Ian Hamm (CEO, Victoria Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation Inc (VACCHO))
- External Member: Aunty Lois Peeler (Principal and Executive Director, Worawa Aboriginal Girls College)
- External Member: Angela Singh (Executive Director Koorie Outcomes Division, Department of Education
- Executive Officer: Joanne Thomson (Executive Officer to Pro Vice Chancellor Indigenous, Yulendj
Indigenous Engagement Unit)
Senior personnel and other relevant stakeholders may be invited to provide advice/updates to the Council as needed.
Faculties and Divisions are encouraged to seek the Council's advice via the Executive Officer:
+61 3 9905 8643.