Biomedical Science Peer Mentoring
We want every student to feel welcome and supported at Monash right from the start. That’s why we’re matching every first-year student with a peer mentor from Biomedical Science to ease their transition to university life and help them build friendships.
Mentoring will take place across the semester with four main sessions:
- Welcome and connect
- You and our University
- You and your study success
- You and your assessments
Beyond this, mentors will check in and offer support at various times. Throughout the program, there will be social events and professional development opportunities for both mentors and mentees to attend.
Become a peer mentor and help guide new students from your faculty as they transition to university and settle into Monash.
As a mentor, you’ll share your knowledge and answer questions about adjusting to life at Monash, while gaining important employability skills and opportunities to participate in career development events. You’ll also be able to network with other like-minded student leaders in the program and make a positive impact on others.
Being a peer mentor in this program, you'll receive priority access to professional development opportunities such as the Alumni to Student mentoring program.
We’re seeking mentors who:
- Have a desire to help new students get started and succeed at Monash;
- Are willing to talk about their own university experience;
- Display strong interpersonal and communication skills; and
- Have the ability to work with a variety of people from different backgrounds.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be enrolled as a student at an Australian campus for Semester one, 2021 (part-time or full-time study load)
- A current undergraduate student within Biomedical Science, or have recently completed undergraduate study in Biomedical Science
- Be in your second year of study or above
- Be able to commit to supporting up to 10 commencing students through personal interactions
- Be able to commit at least 20 hours volunteering throughout the program
- As a new peer mentor, submit a written application through the application button and complete a video application
- As a current peer mentor, you'll receive an email with re-application instructions
Once you've applied, we'll be in touch to let you know the outcome of your application.
As a new student, you’ll be grouped with other first-year students to receive mentoring support from a peer mentor in your first year.
Your mentor will be an experienced student from your faculty who can share knowledge and answer your questions about university life. They can show you where to find programs, resources and services at Monash, so you can have an enjoyable and successful first year.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a first-year undergraduate student
Once the semester starts, your peer mentor will be in touch.
“I'm passionate about supporting new students as I too found the transition from high school to university challenging. Some of the skills I've developed are communication, leadership, problem solving, and intercultural competence, which will help me thrive in my future career.”
Elisha Purcell, Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
|Mentor applications open||September 2021|
|Mentor applications close||October 2021|
|Mentee invitations||July 2021|
|Program commences||Monday 19 July|
Mentoring at Monash