Nursing and Midwifery Peer Mentoring
We want every student to feel welcome and supported at Monash right from the start. That’s why we’re matching every first-year student with a peer mentor from Nursing and Midwifery to ease their transition to university life and help them build friendships.
Mentoring will take place across the semester with four main sessions:
- Welcome and connect
- You and our University
- You and your study success
- You and your assessments
Beyond this, mentors will check in and offer support at various times. Throughout the program, there will be social events and professional development opportunities for both mentors and mentees to attend.
Become a peer mentor and help guide new students from your faculty as they transition to university and settle into Monash.
As a mentor, you’ll share your knowledge and answer questions about adjusting to life at Monash, while gaining important employability skills and opportunities to participate in career development events. You’ll also be able to network with other like-minded student leaders in the program and make a positive impact on others.
Being a peer mentor in this program, you'll receive priority access to professional development opportunities such as the Alumni to Student mentoring program.
We’re seeking mentors who:
- Have a desire to help new students get started and succeed at Monash;
- Are willing to talk about their own university experience;
- Display strong interpersonal and communication skills; and
- Have the ability to work with a variety of people from different backgrounds.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be enrolled as a student at an Australian campus for Semester one, 2021 (part-time or full-time study load)
- A current undergraduate student within Nursing and Midwifery, or have recently completed undergraduate study in Nursing and Midwifery
- Be in your second year of study or above
- Be able to commit to supporting up to 10 commencing students through personal interactions
- Be able to commit at least 20 hours volunteering throughout the program
- As a new peer mentor, submit a written application through the application button and complete a video application
- As a current peer mentor, you'll receive an email with re-application instructions
Once you've applied, we'll be in touch to let you know the outcome of your application.
As a new student, you’ll be grouped with other first-year students to receive mentoring support from a peer mentor in your first year.
Your mentor will be an experienced student from your faculty who can share knowledge and answer your questions about university life. They can show you where to find programs, resources and services at Monash, so you can have an enjoyable and successful first year.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a first-year undergraduate student
Once the semester starts, your peer mentor will be in touch.
"The greatest thing about the mentoring relationship is just getting to know the mentees and really build that friendship. It's great knowing that the tips I give can help them avoid mistakes I may have made. I've gained incredible skills by mentoring and have been able to support first-years the way I was supported when I first started at university."
Hannah Humphries, Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Midwifery (Honours)
"This academic year has been successful not only because of the effort put in by myself and my lecturers but also because of our very own amazing peer mentors, guiding and helping us whenever we needed them. Peer mentoring by our seniors has been very effective as they make a positive impact in us making our course a successful one. I am glad to have been peer mentored by the team this year."
- Patricia Hassim, first-year mentee
"Being able to have a near peer teacher and information sessions allowed me to gain valuable information from students just like us who have just done it all before. Then, being able to give back and be a teacher myself allowed me to re-learn skills and stand out during graduate interviews with future employers."
- Amy Guest, third-year mentor
"As a participant, I found the program beneficial in many ways. One of the best things about this week was the availability of peer mentors - I connected with one of these and she became my ‘mentor/friend’ throughout the course, offering advice and support on many issues that have arisen during the course. Starting a bachelor’s degree at second year level was quite overwhelming, without having had the opportunity to undertake this program I am sure I would have floundered during those important early weeks.
I was also fortunate during my third year to be involved in the program as a peer mentor. Giving back was a real privilege, it reinforced the value of the program for me and it was wonderful to be able to assist newer students to overcome the same obstacles and fears that I had faced. I know that I had a positive impact on the students as they were very appreciative and have continued to approach me with concerns over the course of the year."
- Katie Dawson, third-year mentor
|Mentor applications open||Monday 14 September|
|Mentor applications close||Wednesday 7 October|
|Mentee invitations||February 2021|
|Program commences||Monday 22 February|
Program ContactMentoring at Monash