School of Medicine Peer Mentoring (direct entry)
We want every student to feel welcome and supported at Monash right from the start. That’s why we’re matching every first-year student with a peer mentor from the School of Medicine to ease their transition to university life and help them build friendships.
Mentoring will take place across the semester with four main sessions:
- Welcome and connect
- You and our University
- You and your study success
- You and your assessments
Beyond this, mentors will check in and offer support at various times. Throughout the program, there will be social events and professional development opportunities for both mentors and mentees to attend.
Become a peer mentor and help guide new students from your faculty as they transition to university and settle into Monash.
As a mentor, you’ll share your knowledge and answer questions about adjusting to life at Monash, while gaining important employability skills and opportunities to participate in career development events. You’ll also be able to network with other like-minded student leaders in the program and make a positive impact on others.
If you’re in your final year, you’ll also benefit from the opportunity to receive an alumni mentor as part of the Alumni to Student mentoring program (subject to mentor availability for your needs). This means that with one application, you could be in two programs!
We’re seeking mentors who:
- Have a desire to help new students get started and succeed at Monash;
- Are willing to talk about their own university experience;
- Display strong interpersonal and communication skills; and
- Have the ability to work with a variety of people from different backgrounds.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be enrolled as a student for Semester two, 2020 (part-time or full-time study load)
- Be in your second year of study or above
- Have a Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 65 or above
- Be able to commit to supporting up to 10 commencing students through personal interactions
- Be able to commit at least 20 hours volunteering throughout the program
- Submit a written application by 15 June through the application button
- Complete a video application between 10-15 July
Once successful, you’ll need to:
- Complete online training by 20 July
- Be available for mentor training on 27 July
As a new student, you’ll be allocated a peer mentor who will support you in your first year.
Your mentor will be an experienced student from your faculty who can share knowledge and answer your questions about university life. They can show you where to find programs, resources and services at Monash, so you can have an enjoyable and successful first year.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a first-year undergraduate student
Once the semester starts, your peer mentor will be in touch.
|Mentor applications open||Monday 1 June|
|Mentor applications close||Monday 29 June|
|Mentee invitations||July 2020|
|Program commences||Monday 3 August|
Mentoring at Monash