School of Medicine Rural Peer Mentoring
We want all pre-clinical students, whether they are Bonded, Rural Origin, Extended Rural Cohort, Rural End-to-End or general CSP students to have the opportunity to learn more about rural clinical placements, rural internships and specialist training pathways in regional areas.
This program provides pre-clinical medical students (Year 2A) with an interest in rural practice, the opportunity to be mentored by senior students who have undertaken at least 6 months rural clinical placement or are currently undertaking rural clinical placements.
In 2021. the program will run from Wednesday 7 April to Tuesday 30 November (7 months).
If you are a Year 4C or 5D student with an interest in rural practice who has undertaken a minimum of 6 months in a rural clinical placement, or a 3B student with an interest in rural practice who has been allocated a rural placement, we’d like to hear from you. By being a mentor, you will gain important employability skills, attend networking events and potentially improve recruitment and retention of the rural medical workforce.
You should apply if you have:
- A desire to support students interested in rural practice
- A willingness to talk about your own experiences during clinical placements across the Monash Rural Health footprint
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to work with a variety of people from different backgrounds
To be eligible you must:
- Be enrolled in the medicine course at Monash University
- Have undertaken at least 6 months in a rural clinical school or have been allocated a Year 3B placement in a rural clinical school.
- Be able to support between 1 – 4 Year 2A students through face to face and online interactions over a 7 month period
If you are a pre-clinical medical student in Year 2A with an interest in rural practice, you have the opportunity to be paired with a senior student who has or is currently undertaking a placement at a clinical school within the Monash Rural Health footprint. You'll be invited to information sessions and networking events designed to increase your understanding of the opportunities to live, work and train in rural and regional areas.
Your student mentor will be a senior medical student who can:
- share tips and tricks for successfully navigating Year 2A
- assist with the smooth transition from the pre-clinical to clinical years
- answer any questions you might have about undertaking a rural clinical placement
- share OSCE and Exam preparation hints
- provide insight into living in a rural community
- let you know where to find the best coffee, the best pub trivia nights and awesome walks, bike rides, etc!
To be eligible you must:
- Be a Year 2A medical student with an interest in rural practice.
Eligible students will receive an invitation to participate in the program. When you apply, you’ll then complete an online needs assessment, which helps inform your mentor pairing.
|Mentor applications open||Monday 15 February|
|Mentor applications close||Friday 26 February|
|Mentee applications open||Monday 1 March|
|Mentee applications close||Friday 26 March|
|Program commences||Wednesday 7 April|